Friday, March 7, 2008

This Means That and That Means This

We recently did a reading from our About Language book on the word "macho". Before reading that, I had never viewed that word as an insult or as a derogatory description. To me, macho is a strong, well-built man who can handle anything. In the article "macho" (to Americans) means basically a guy who is a pig. "Macho" is not the only word that is easily interpreted.

I was speaking to my friend last week (we'll call him Eric) and I learned a new meaning for the word "bad". A very attractive girl walked by us and Eric said, "Dude, she's bad." I was a bit confused for a while and that was obvious to him. He then explained that by calling her "bad", he is calling her "very good-looking". He also explained that the word "bad" can be used for a good song or a nice car. After that, I was intrigued. I asked him what other alternatively defined words he or his friends used.

He laughed and then began thinking of all the words or phrases he uses that do not necessarily mean what they are defined as in the literal sense. One phrase he brought up that I found interesting was "I'm down with that", which to he and his friends means "Yeah, that's fine" or "I'll be there". However, if you think of that phrase in the actual sense, it would appear that by saying that, he is down on the ground or floor with whatever they are referring to, when obviously he is not.

Another different example of this phenomenon is the use of the "n" word. The "n" word can usually be used appropriately between two black men who are friends. If a white man or woman uses it towards a black man or woman, it is definitely considered a derogatory comment and is very offensive. In my Africana Studies class we discussed this, and a few of the black students said that there are even certain black people that use the "n" word and it seems offensive. Honestly, I don't know who you have to be or how you have to act to be able to use the word appropriately, but I find it interesting that it has two very powerful extremes. If a man is another man's "n" word, he is his friend, his companion. That way it is used as a compliment. However, if a white man belittlelingly says it to a black man, it is the worst of insults.

Words evolve and change everyday. The word "the" will probably mean something completely bizarre and different in twenty years! So who really knows what "I'm down with being bad and macho" means?

No comments: